Posted on April 12, 2017
The Brooklyn Community Foundation’s $100,000 Spark Prize Application Opens April 10th!
Eligible Brooklyn nonprofits are invited to apply Monday, April 10th – Friday, May 12th at SparkPrize.org. Five Brooklyn-based organizations will receive the “no strings attached” $100,000 Spark Prize, chosen through a competitive selection process by a committee of distinguished Brooklyn civic, business, and neighborhood leaders. Applicants will be narrowed to 20 finalists in October, and the five award recipients will be announced in January 2018. The Spark Prize was launched last year to celebrate the excellence and impact of Brooklyn’s thriving nonprofit sector. The inaugural Spark Prize awards went to The Audre Lorde Project, Common Justice, Make the Road New York, MoCADA Museum, and Neighbors Together. See the full list of last year’s finalists. Detailed application criteria and guidelines are available at SparkPrize.org/How-to-Apply. The deadline to apply is Friday, May 12th at noon. Interested nonprofits are invited to join us for one of two Application Clinics at our offices at 1000 Dean Street in Crown Heights, on Thursday, April 20th from 2-3:30PM. Space is limited and registration is required. RSVP here.
2017 Eligibility + Application Guidelines
The online application includes a brief organizational description, 1000-word essay addressing the 4 Prize criteria, a 501c3 or MOU, most recently completed financial statement, bios of 3 key personnel, and a most recent IRS Form 990 by noon (12pm) on Friday, May 12, 2017.
To be eligible, organizations must meet each of the following requirements:
- Serve the people and communities of Brooklyn
- Be in operation for longer than five (5) years
- Have a minimum organizational budget of $350,000
- Have a 501c3 determination letter or a memorandum of understanding (MOU) from a fiscal sponsor
- Have an active governing body
- Applications with missing documents and attachments will not be considered
- Do not send press kits or additional materials by mail
- We encourage organizations that are not current grantees of Brooklyn Community Foundation to apply
Frequently Asked Questions
View the Spark Prize Application FAQ for answers to common questions on eligibility, application content, committee review, and funding. Additionally, you can sign up to attend a Spark Prize Application Clinic on Monday, April 10th or Thursday, April 20th.