Community Organizing Field Support
Other capacity building providers specialize in community organizing and advocacy strategies. Their technical assistance and offerings range from legislative advocacy to leadership development, participatory research to popular education tools, and much more. Here are four providers we encourage our grantee partners to seek out for collaboration:
Advocacy Institute can help you learn to navigate the city and state legislative process. Advocacy Institute helps organizations understand government structures, networks, and relationships and confirms who holds power in New York City and Albany, who works for them, and how they fit in within the often
–opaque political landscape. Through a membership model, Advocacy Institute supports campaigns as groups apply what they have learned throughout the legislative cycle, leveraging data in their advocacy, and utilizing its community of experts and insiders.
Reach out to Advocacy Institute if you want to:
- Lead strategic legislative campaigns while receiving support through consulting and campaign planning.
- Understand government structures, networks, and relationships about who holds power in New York City and Albany, who works for them, and how they fit in the political landscape.
Center for Community Leadership
A project of the Association of Neighborhood Housing Development, the Center for Community Leadership provides organizing training resources for both new and experienced organizers at all levels of professional development.
Reach out to the Center for Community Leadership if you’re interested in:
- Developing skills for building leaders of your organization, membership, and community.
- Increasing your capacity to lead successful campaigns that win concrete changes.
Learn More | Contact
Center for Urban Pedagogy
The Center for Urban Pedagogy puts powerful visualization tools and learning experiences into the hands of those whose access to information, or lack thereof, can have major consequences for their health, safety, and well-being. Center for Urban Pedagogy will work with your group to create tools for and in collaboration with community groups working on the ground to address major issues of social justice and equity.
Reach out to Center for Urban Pedagogy if you’re interested in:
- Developing visual tools that effectively communicate the issue your organization is working on.
- Creating a guide explaining your constituency’s rights.
Learn More | Contact
TakeRoot Justice provides legal, participatory action research, and policy support to strengthen the work of grassroots and community-based groups in New York City to dismantle racial, economic, and social oppression. TakeRoot Justice produces reports that advance your organizing goals by documenting and formalizing issues in the eyes of your targets, other stakeholders, allies, and media outlets you aim to influence. Community residents and members of organizations are provided opportunities for skill building and leadership development through their direct participation in the research.
Reach out to TakeRoot Justice if you’d like to:
- Bring attention to the issue you’re working on and develop policy recommendations.
- Cultivate member leadership and center the voices of the community you work with.